Shannon's Journal

This is Shannon's journal. I will use this to write down what's happening in my life, or what random thoughts I want to write down at a particular moment. The writing isn't fancy, the grammar isn't proper. Kinda like me. :)

Monday, April 7, 2008

Empty Nest

I just heard a conversation on a radio show about dealing with empty nest syndrome, and how this family would go to football games at their son's previous high school after he had left for college. They just had so much fun doing that, and got so used to it, they didn't want to stop. Of course, the experience just wasn't the same anymore for them. It got me thinking about how right now, at this point in my life, I would be devastated if I had no softball practices and games to take my girls to. Although, I get so busy and sometimes stressed at all the stuff I do for my kids (softball practices, games, work from being on the softball board, dance, birthday parties, volunteering at school, homework, etc etc etc), I would be so sad if I didn't have those things to do. Hearing the parents talking about their empty nest on the radio just made me realize how much I love my life, even if my house isn't always clean, and even if I'm running around all the time trying to get things done. Sometimes we have to realize that even though are schedule is busy, when we look at what we're doing, much of it is wonderful and fun; times that we need to appreciate in the moment.

As far as empty nest syndrome, I hope and pray by the time that reaches us, I will be more ready for it. I think I will to some extent, be ready by then, for another season in my life. Because of course there will always be wonderful experiences with the kids, even when they're out of the house. But for now, I will appreciate going to Aly's softball practice today. And I will try to remember to have this appreciation every day. I want to soak in every moment. Someday, I will be looking back and longing for a piece of those moments.

Gotta run to clean out the car! It's overflowing with bat bags, ball gloves, softball equipment, softball paperwork, and all the other scary stuff that kids leave in there!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At April 25, 2008 at 5:33 PM , Blogger Genny said...

    Shannon,
    You blogger, you! I love it. And your post was great. I know what you mean about not being ready for an empty nest. Me either! I look forward to visiting your blog often.

     
  • At April 30, 2008 at 6:43 PM , Blogger Genny said...

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, Shannon! I know what you mean about your kids holding you accountable. I can always count on that! Have a great day,
    Genny

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home